The history of Spassky cement began in 1907 during the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway. Entrepreneur Mikhail Ratomsky who provided this construction site with cement from his plant in Amur Region, moved the cement plant to Evgenievka Station (now Spassk-Dalny) which surroundings were rich in limestone and clay. Ratomsky Plant produced up to 10 thousand tons of cement per year.
Cement production on the Spassk land was set up on a grand scale from the first days. After obtaining a Ticket on June 13, 1907 from the Military Governor of Primorsky Region, the construction of the plant’s buildings began using the private funds.
The first Spassky cement was made in August 1908, and first of all it was delivered for the national construction: the railway and Vladivostok fortress.
During the first five-year plan (1929-1933), the Far East needed a lot of cement because the region had turned into a huge construction site, so it was decided to build a new plant in Spassk-Dalny. It was designed to become a technically advanced industrial giant with a production capacity of 341 thousand tons of cement per year. This cement plant became the firstborn of the socialist industry in the Far East. The ceremonial launch was held on March 01, 1935.
The entire region was supplied with Spassky cement. It was supplied for the construction of fortifications on the border, for the Khasan railway, to Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Komsomolsk-on-Amur. Cement in a bagged form was delivered by sea to Sakhalin, Kamchatka, for the construction of the Norilsk Mining and Metallurgical Plant.
During the Great Patriotic War, the plant did not stop operating, although many workers went off at the front. Cement production had to be mastered by women and teenagers. It was during the war that the first batch of oilwell cement used in the oil industry was released at Spassky Cement Plant. In June 1943, the production of 400 and 500 Grade pozzolanic cement developed with the participation of the Plant’s specialists was launched.
After the war, a struggle began at the Plant to increase production. Spassky Cement Plant was the first in the country to switch to dry technology thereby sharply increasing its production output.
At the initiative of the Director G. V. Petrosyants, in May 1956, the construction of the USSR’s first rotary kiln with cyclonic heat exchangers began at the Plant.
In 1962, the production of cement in the USSR reached the level of its production in the United States, and came out to the top place in the world. On December 31, 1971, the 100 millionth ton of cement was produced in the USSR. These figures are due to a large share of Spassk cement workers.
Services to the country were highly decorated. On February 11, 1971, by Decree of the Presidium of the USSR Supreme Soviet, for the early fulfillment of tasks of the eighth five-year plan, an increase in cement production and success in the development of a new system for producing clinker by dry method, Spassky Cement Plant was awarded with the Order of the October Revolution.
Spassk cement was one of the best exported from the USSR. In September 1974, the state commission awarded it with the Quality Mark.
The amount of produced cement was growing from year to year but it was still in short supply. Already in the early 1960s, discussions on the construction of a more powerful cement plant began in Primorye. It was planned to locate it in Zavodskoy near Artem, as in 1958 a huge plant of reinforced concrete products began to operate there. But the simple reason, namely the lack of qualified personnel, changed these intentions.
The construction of the Novospassky Cement Plant (NSCP) began in 1971 on the southern edge of Spassk-Dalny. It was a great event and a grandiose construction announced as the All-Union Komsomol Construction. Three thousand workers from all over the country came to build the giant of the construction industry. Twenty-nine design institutes of the USSR prepared engineering drawings and designed equipment. It was produced at two hundred and forty-nine factories, including in France, the Federal Republic of Germany, the USA and Japan.
The new plant was to become a giant of the construction industry. Unique equipment was specially designed for it. Only two kilns had a production capacity of 2.3 million tons of cement per year! Its important feature was the use of high-performance large units at all stages of production. For the first time in the country, the Aerofall mill was installed here.
NSCP became one of the most advanced and technically ingenious enterprises of the USSR cement industry. The first cement at the Plant was made on September 30, 1976.
In 2000, Novospassky Cement Plant was reborn resuming its operation after many years of stoppage. The team began to produce special types of cement for road and airfield pavements, sulfate-resistant oilwell, non-shrinking, for hydraulic engineering purposes. Consumers of the products were Primorsky, Khabarovsk, Amur Regions, large volumes of products went to the European regions of Russia. Spassk cement was used in the manufacture of platforms for Sakhalin-2 International Project.
Since 2000, NSCP has entered the era of global modernization. The enterprise has actively been introducing equipment from the world’s best manufacturers ensuring the high quality of products, improving the technology and enhancing the working conditions.
The quality of Spassk cement meets Russian and American standards and has certificates. The development and implementation of new products is arranged in close cooperation with leading scientific industry institutes. Since 2014, Spasskcement Plant JSC has switched to a new standard for cement, GOST 31108-2003 (currently 31108-2016) and has already commenced to supply products in accordance with this GOST.
In order to guarantee the high quality of its products to its consumer, in 1999 Spasskcement JSC, together with Research and Development Center JSC, began to develop a quality management system, and in 2000 the system was certified by the American Petroleum Institute. Every year, the enterprise undergoes an international audit to verify the compliance with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015. The quality management system helps the top management of Spasskcement JSC to respond more flexibly to any market needs and meet the needs and expectations of cement consumers.